Sunday, July 11, 2010

I hate it when news is good and bad at the same time.

First of all, my write-ups for those 7 articles (and more) are coming. I've just been spending more time reading than writing, since I have an August 15 deadline for secondary sources. I have some of them written but don't want to update too often. These write-ups are mostly for my benefit anyway.

For now, I want to address something I discovered over the weekend.
I took my (borrowed) dosimeter to the theater and elected to watch The A-Team. It was a good movie overall with a few technical errors that didn't affect how much I enjoyed it. Unfortunately, during a 117-minute film, my dosimeter registered less than 25% dose. Granted, I was in the rear-most row, but seeing how this was an action movie, I expected to reach at least 25%. Next time, I will sit in one of the forward-most rows and see what happens there. But as of now, it's looking like theaters are not a significant-enough source of noise to warrant inclusion in the study.

The good news is that these theater employees who spend all day in such an environment are not risking their ears. And like Dr. Brockett (and several other people) say, lack of significant noise exposure is just as good a result as discovering significant sources. What if music really is the largest contributor to young adults' hearing loss? Is technology the problem? (More on this when I update my articles.)

Also, I wanted to post my essay as it stands. I think I'm getting close to finishing it. You can find the file here, and a video of me reading it (albeit not the best inflection) is below.


No comments:

Post a Comment