Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Some Answers! (Hopefully.)

So I have grown up in an interesting financial situation. My family makes plenty of money, but most of it gets spent on medical bills despite our great insurance. My father had at least one surgery on his neck and I've had two separate surgeries for my tonsils and my adenoids (thank you, Dr. Van der Graaf, for providing cold, faceless, incomplete surgeries), along with medications and such along the way and my year+ of therapy for my arachnophobia.

In short, my parents didn't have any money saved up for me to go to college, but they make too much for me to get any free government assistance, so they've been taking out Parent Plus loans to pay for my tuition and living expenses. The thing about Parent Plus loans is that they tack on lots of interest.

I'm mostly independent. My parents still help out with my gas and give me a small allowance each month, but I work and live on my own, and I have since moving out in 2007. So lately, I've been wondering about declaring independent status on my tax forms, because it may help me out with getting legit aid from the government.

Because I have no idea who to ask, I decided to ask "Judge Josh" from www.givemescholarships.com what he thinks the pros and cons of declaring independent status would be.

One obvious one is that I don't think I'd be able to be on my parents' insurance, but even at that point I'm not positive. I'm still young enough to count, and I'm in school. I need some guidance from someone who knows the system.

No comments:

Post a Comment